Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Super Soups

My aunt Roxy made an amazing spicy chicken soup when I was up visiting her in Auberry, CA. I was taken by the recipe and the cookbook it came from and instead of re-writing the recipe (which I had already started to do) she ordered the book for me. This book is amazing! Last weekend I made two recipes from it: 1) Creamy Corn Bisque with Crab and Leeks and 2) Green Bean, Cherry Tomato and Bacon Salad. I spent most of the morning wandering around a local Farmer's Market searching for ingredients. I found fresh honey cream (I think) sweet corn, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, green beans, leeks, garlic, and a couple of huge cantaloupes. The rest of the ingredients came from Hy-Vee including the artifical crab meat from behind the meat counter. While the recipes listed a MUCH shorter preparation time otherwise they were simple to follow. I added a little more pepper flakes to the soup to spice it up a bit - my audience tends to like things REALLY spicy - but otherwise the recipes were flawless.

Tonight, I'm trying homemade pizza from this website. I'll try to remember to take some pictures this time. Bon Appetit!

No comments: