Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Beginning - Garden 2013

So last summer Dustin and I rented a community garden plot at Ellis park. It was 1000 sq. ft of beauty. Of course, it was also one of the driest summers on record and this community garden has no direct water access. You could walk 200 yards to the river and carry water - see below - but most didn't. We (Dustin) did for the first half of the summer, and borrowed my brother's truck for the 2nd half.





So at the end of summer we started plans for 2013 and decided to put a garden in my brother's back yard. We tilled up about 1800 sq. ft - because obviously 1000 was not enough....


We have yet to run water out to it yet, but believe me, this will not be a bucket job this year!


And now the question is - what to do with 1800 sq. ft of garden space? I've become a seed catalog junkie. I now have catalogs from Seed Saver Exchange, Gurney's, Burpee, Henry Field's and Burgess.

 I have great aspirations of creating something like this -
http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor/gardening/ultimate-kitchen-garden-design
However, it will probably be a plethora of tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn, green beans, and sugar snaps. There are a lot of different tomatoes varieties out there...



I'm starting to make a list - anyone have suggestions?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a couple thoughts...

--Becky has a large garden every year. Maybe we should visit hers and get a tour?

--Becky also has issues with deer, and plants marigolds around the outsider perimeter of the garden to keep them away.

--Ever want to road trip to Seed Savers in Decorah, to check out their heirloom seed varieties? That would be a fun road trip! Much more fun on a motorcycle, though...

--My uncle Chuck is a master gardener and has a huge garden every year. He's a BIG talker, but if you're up for it we could visit his garden too.

So, yes--many random garden thoughts from me.

: ) Hannah

Unknown said...

: )

Mary Ann said...

Hannah,

Yes, yes and yes! I love all of these ideas. Let's make it happen.

Any favorites you and your family want planted? :-)

~me